I love making Whoopie Pies. I like it so much that we currently have a Whoopie Pie Baking Ban enforced in my house. Yes, there was a stage when I was making them a little too often and we all got a little too full on Whoopie Pie.
But for those of you out there that want to try them – yes, they are absolutely the new cupcake – try this recipe for the best Chocolate Whoopie Pies.
If you need a taste tester you know where to find me.
- 125g/4½oz butter
- 150g/5½oz chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids, plus extra for melting (optional)
- 225g/8oz sugar
- 3 free-range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g/8¾oz flour
- 30g/1¼oz cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 18 marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350G/Gas 3. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water.)
- Whisk the sugar, eggs and vanilla together in a separate bowl then fold in the chocolate mixture.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder together, then fold into the chocolate and egg mixture.
- Place tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking tray (the mixture should make 36 biscuits) and bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside half of the biscuits on a cooling rack. Turn the remaining biscuits over and place a marshmallow on top of each. Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes, or until the marshmallows have softened.
- Remove from the oven and set aside on a cooling rack to cool slightly. Press the cooled biscuits on top.
- Optional: Melt 100g/3½oz extra chocolate and pour this over the cookies, then set aside to cool.